[annotator-dev] changing the position of annotator viewer/editor

Benjamin Young bigbluehat at hypothes.is
Fri Mar 6 13:34:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Benjamin Young <bigbluehat at hypothes.is>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey Shauna,
>>
>> First, thanks for being here. :)
>>

> You're very welcome!  It's nice here.

^_^

>> CoffeScript is a language solely meant for transpiling to JavaScript,
>> so you can use the `coffee` command line tool to turn it that .coffee
>> file into a .js file:
>> http://coffeescript.org/
>>
>> The resulting JS might not be ideal, but it would be JavaScript which
>> you could alter to your needs.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I've managed to put something together without
> using the MarginViewer code, but I'm sure I'll need to use something in
> CoffeeScript eventually.
>

>> > - If this is in the latest release, is there a way to access/adapt this
>> via
>> > plugin, or is it finally time to learn how your development process
>> works?
>> > ;)
>>
>> The 1.2.x release does have some documentation on writing plugins:
>> http://annotator.readthedocs.org/en/v1.2.x/hacking/plugin-development.html
>>
>> Depending on the timeframe you're hoping to ship this in you *could*
>> get involved with 2.0 development (see the master branch). I'm sure
>> the help would be welcome. :)
>>

> I'm actually not certain about my timeframe.  I do have a mini-deadline of
> this Friday, so I've opted for a fairly hacky approach - I unminified the
> released annotator files and have been editing them directly.  I'd like to
> make changes in a more sustainable way, as well as help improve the
> documentation, which I think could use a bit more detail and examples, when
> I get the chance.

How's the hacking going? :) I'd be more than happy to help you with making
the changes "in a more sustainable way" and sync up about helping with
documentation--because you're absolutely right...it could use some details
and examples.

Is anyone interested in doing a short "sprint" - maybe a few hours on a
> weekend or evening?  If someone will pair with me on going through the
> contribution process I am happy to document it more thoroughly.  Pairing
> could be remote via something like google hangout, or in person if anyone's
> in Boston.  (I've also seen a few friends of mine from Boston when
> searching the list archives, and I bet I can get them to come.)

Randall (an Annotator core-committer) and I will actually be in Boston
(well...Cambridge) in a couple weeks for IndieWebCamp!
http://indiewebcamp.com/2015/Cambridge

I'm looking for a spot in our schedule that week to do an Annotator meet-up
/ hack / discussion for anyone interested.

An evening meet-up would work best--either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Would any of those evening's work for you, Shauna? If so, we'll get
something official setup, find some hack space (or a cafe / pub), and rally
the troops. :)

>> > Once I figure out where to make my changes, I think this should be
>> fairly
>> > straightforward - I want to keep Y as it is, and X can be calculated by
>> the
>> > offset of the marginal column from the document.
>>
>> Hopefully something in here will help you make the changes you need. :)
>>

> Thanks to this response, I was able to figure out a good workflow and have
> made this particular change.  I'm sure it won't be long before I post with
> another question!  :)

Awesome. :)

Thanks again for being here. Let me know about the hackathon / meet-up
possibility on your end of things.

Cheers!
Benjamin