[annotator-dev] changing the position of annotator viewer/editor

Benjamin Young bigbluehat at hypothes.is
Fri Mar 6 15:54:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> How's the hacking going? :) I'd be more than happy to help you with making
> the changes "in a more sustainable way" and sync up about helping with
> documentation--because you're absolutely right...it could use some details
> and examples.
>
> It's going well!  I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  :)  The
> last change on my list (for now) is to modify the annotator UI so that a
> clicked annotation causes the viewed annotation to appear and stay until a
> button is clicked to close it.  As part of that I'm going to swap out the
> current X delete icon for a trash can icon, since I think the X can easily
> be mistaken for "close" instead of "delete".  If anyone has pointers for
> where to modify the code, I'd appreciate it, though I'm sure I can find it
> myself eventually.

+1 for both those changes. :)

The current delete icon is part of the `annotator-glyph-sprite.png` file:
https://github.com/openannotation/annotator/blob/master/img/annotator-glyph-sprite.png

CSS selecting the delete icon from the sprite sheet is here:
https://github.com/openannotation/annotator/blob/master/css/annotator.css#L293-L295

You could either replace the "X" variations in the image or define and
override to a custom image for that class. Doing it in the sprite sheet (or
a new sprite sheet), means you'd benefit from the current setup of loading
all the glyph icons at once--which is handy. :)

> Randall (an Annotator core-committer) and I will actually be in Boston
> (well...Cambridge) in a couple weeks for IndieWebCamp!
> http://indiewebcamp.com/2015/Cambridge
>
> I'm looking for a spot in our schedule that week to do an Annotator
> meet-up / hack / discussion for anyone interested.
>
> An evening meet-up would work best--either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.
>
> Would any of those evening's work for you, Shauna? If so, we'll get
> something official setup, find some hack space (or a cafe / pub), and rally
> the troops. :)
>
> That's great!  I was thinking of going to IndieWebCamp.  Are you going to
> LibrePlanet as well?  It's the weekend right after IndieWebCamp.

Fabulous! It'd be great to get more Annotator folks at IndieWebCamp. :)
Randall and I are both flying back Friday night and going to miss
LibrePlanet, sadly. It looks like a great conference, though, and one I
hope to attend in the future.

> Tuesday night is best for me, Thursday is doable, Wednesday I have other
> commitments.

I'll ping Randall about this one, and see if he has a preference. Once
we've got a time that works for the three of us, we'll get it set, space
found, and start promoting pronto! :)

Thanks again, Shauna!
Benjamin