[annotator-dev] Support for annotation inside textarea and input fileds (annotator.js)

Randall Leeds randall at bleeds.info
Thu Mar 29 04:06:12 UTC 2018

Annotator represents selections using XPath for elements and text offsets.
Textarea elements contain text, but cannot contain other content.
Therefore, it's possible to get Annotator to find content within a textarea
but not to highlight it.

Editors like TinyMCE don't use textarea elements. Instead, they use
contenteditable to edit and create HTML content. It's possible to use
Annotator to highlight or otherwise annotate this content. However,
annotating dynamic content is not a built-in feature. Depending on the
editor, Annotator may or may not confuse it, conflict with it, or be broken
by it. Integrations should be possible but are not provided in the core
library.