[bigclean] [euopendata] Idea: screen scraping sprint -> 19.3.2011

Jindřich Mynarz mynarzjindrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:52:00 UTC 2011

Hi Antti,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Antti Poikola <antti.poikola at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/2011 12:21 AM, Daniel Dietrich wrote:
>>
>> Hey Antti, Jindřich, all,
>>
>> I was wondering about the blog post and more general about the
>> announcement of this big clean*1. Its just 9 days left and my impression is
>> that there is almost no publicly visible propaganda for this event.
>
> For me there is actually no problem if we even don't announce it, this is
> any how meant to be a preparatory event where we collect experiences for the
> real Big Clean which will come later on?

I think there is not such a need for a proper OKFN blogpost, a tweet
would do. We don`t have trouble getting publicity and we have almost
reached the maximum capacity of the venue we`ve booked for the event
(almost 50 participants have registered). However, I think we should
take action and write something to replace the "placeholder" texts on
the BigClean.org website. I have added a little bit, but we need more.

>> I am very sure that you guys will make great events in Prague and
>> Jyväskylä and may be else ware. I am just a little bit concerned to announce
>> it as a "major global hackathon" because this might make people think about
>> massive evolvement and responding results and so might "burn" our efforts
>> for further events. My proposal is to announce it asap publicly on the OKFN
>> Blog (and hopefully elsewhere) but to make a clear point that this is *not*
>> the major big big clean, but rather a first round of local and mostly small
>> hacking events*2.
>
> Who has talked about announcing this one as a major global hackathon? The
> global event will follow, maybe in May, this is just local preparatory
> twin-event. I will put my effort in getting people to Jyväskylä event and
> making it well. For that reason I will update some English text to the
> bigclean-site, but I don't really feel like actually putting it to the OKFN
> blog beforahand...

Yes, this is a preparatory event. I think that even if we had put up a
blogpost for OKFN there wouldn`t be enough time for other cities to
prepare their own events. Maybe a better option is to write a post
after the preparatory event about the experiences with it to incite
people to attend to the next Big Clean.

Best,

Jindrich