[ckan-dev] i18n: Including po and mo files in master repo

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Dec 8 10:37:25 UTC 2010

On 8 December 2010 10:22, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> this is a discussion that we have had a few times already, but I'd like to bring it up again: in my opinion, not having translation files in the main repository doesn't work very well. I see the following problems:
>
> * The deployment is complicated through the need to deploy gettext files on their own, often upgrades of the system are performed without updating the translation (or vice versa). About a third of the work I have to do about community catalogue admin stuff is related to this.
> * There is no appropriate workflow on the developer side to make sure new external strings are included in the pot and po files asap. This needs to go through a different repo at the moment, which means people don't do it.
> * Once we start allowing users to select their language within a running system, this won't scale.

Agreed -- I also think this has got worse because Benoit, who very
generously acted as our i18n master, has been busy with other things
recently. Without someone to explicitly manage the i18n 'branch/repo'
this has been a problem.

I also think has been worse for you atm because of the need to work of
a moving 'head' (though i18n isn't changing much!) ;)

> To fix this, I'd again like to propose moving both the authoritative branch of .po files and .mo binary objects into the main repo. This might not be the cleanest solution, but it does help to sort out these issues.

I'm +1 on this. The big issue to address though is how transifex
pushes. It is kind of annoying (though not the end of the world) to
have 100s of transifex mini-pushes constantly happening into the main
repo.

Is there any way to configure transifex to push to a branch? (When I
last looked the answer was no!)

> Cheers,
>
> Friedrich
>
> As a related issue, at least to me it is not clear when and how transifex is updated from source and this has not improved with the new version. I've now resorted to uploading the pot file periodically by hand. Maybe I'm missing something obvious - could you help me?

If you had pushed to the i18n repo [1], transifex automatically
updates (sometimes I have had to trigger it by asking it to
recalculate statistics).

[1]: http://bitbucket.org/bboissin/ckan-i18n