[ckan-dev] Location of CKAN documentation (and versions thereof)

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Dec 8 11:10:48 UTC 2010

On 8 December 2010 10:28, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Currently: http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/
>
> Suggest we move asap. Options:
>
> http://packages.python.org/ckan/ - currently have 'head' docs there
>  + already there for us
>  + relatively easy to use
>  - not consistent with location of rest of material
>  - difficult to have different doc versions (due to upload process)
>
> http://ckan.org/doc/
> http://doc.ckan.org/
>  + consistent with location of CKAN material
>  - requires upload access to server (is there a way to have trac
> handle this upload?)

Sounds good. I think ckan.org is better than pypi.

It's part of the release process to build the docs (
https://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/wiki/ReleaseProcess ). It would
be great to have these latest docs built automatically too, to avoid
issues like we had with Stefan

> In all cases I think we would also want to have:
>
> {doc-location} - latest stable version
> {doc-location}/latest/ - HEAD

Perhaps it's best to address the opinions also already expressed when
you raised this on 6th Oct:

Tim: follow the path of the Python documentation. Have the current
release in the main namespace, with other versions given their own
subdirectories.

John: publish docs against the version number

James: /instance_name/version/ OR each version has a single page in the docs
explaining differences from public CKAN

David: have one set of docs that notes when features are added (like python)

Hope that helps,

David