[ckan-dev] problem with package importer

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Thu Dec 9 11:06:40 UTC 2010

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Another thing I noticed, if I’m downloading a data package via datapkg
>> download ckan://iso-3166-2-data . like the example in the manual, it is
>> working fine. But when I try to download other packages, especially in the
>> german ckan version (de.ckan.org) I always get exceptions while reading
>> information (datapkg info) or downloading the package. Is the german version
>> incompatible to datapkg or strikes the download while reading faulty or
>> incomplete records?
>
> How are you trying to search offenedaten.de. At the moment (we are
> changing this as more CKAN instances appear) you will have to set
> ckan.url in your [index:ckan] section to:
>
> ckan.url = http://offenedaten.de
>
> I was then able to successfully query e.g.:
>
> $ datapkg search ckan:// statistik
> $ datapkg info ckan://destatis-statistik-21411
> $ datapkg download ckan://destatis-statistik-21411 .
> # there will now be a /tmp/destatis-statistik-21411 directory
>
> I note many offenedaten.de packages have no download resources in
> which case datapkg download will exit silently and do nothing. This
> should probably be made more apparent (many offenedaten packages have
> no download resources at the moment!).

It is also worth noting that offenedaten/de.ckan is based on an
outdated and somewhat unstable version CKAN. Daniel and I should
invest some time into upgrading this while keeping plugins and theming
intact.

Also: why is it that datapkg will only download the first listed
resource, is there anything speaking against an "--all" switch?

- Friedrich