[ckan-dev] harvesting and ckan geo extensions

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue Apr 5 22:14:32 UTC 2011

So far so good, I added some tweaks to the documentation for how to
configure the plugins, and reminders to actually install the package
and put the requirements in the setup.py so that they get installed
comme il faut.

Some small observations more in the way of documentation and letting
the others on the list know what is being done. Not criticisms, I
think you've done a very good job.

In the instructions for the API URL, I may be wrong but I believe that
the convention for ckanclient is to put http://exmaple.org/api not
just http://example.org/ if I am not wrong about this it should
probably be changed for consistency's sake.

I notice the harvester is adding resources with relative URLs, this
seems to be a pre-existing bug not least because it prevents the
package from being edited because those fields fail validation.

The authentication arrangement in view.py should probably be slackened
a bit, since I don't think we need admin privileges to be able to just
look at a map. Also if there is a viewable resource, probably we
should have a smaller map without controls on the main package page,
though I understand why you didn't do this straight away as it is a
more invasive template change.

On the treatment of the SRS in the extras field. I don't really know
why we are putting a big blob of XML in there instead of just using
the well known string identifier in. I think this might be tripping up
the indexing of some datasets, particularly as the UK often uses its
own national grid system very often. There are no particular test for
this, I'll write some once we get some consensus about if we are going
to actually put the SRID in the SRID field or keep the XML blob.

On the treatment of the bounding box, I mention this here because I
know that Friedrich and I had discussed this a while back. Probably
having a separate extra for each of the coordinates of the corners, or
4 extras in all is not as good as having just one BBOX extra. Better
still might be to have an "envelope" extra with WKT in it. This isn't
as succinct as just four numbers in a bbox but it means that if we
have better shape information for the perimiter of the coverage of a
dataset (which hopefully we will have in the future at least for some
of them) then we can actually use that in the database. It would mean
that the geometry column into a geometry collection and do some
minimal processing on it instead of using a polygon.

Back to the cosmetic front, it probably would be a good idea to put in
a base layer of vmap0 or something to aid in orientation.

I guess the geo search and handling of envelope/bbox extras should
really be in a ckanext-geo and not in harvesting since it has nothign
to do with harvesting really, nor with CSW or DGU. That way anything
with that extra would get indexed and displayed.

We could promote the geo seaerch alongside the regular search. Really
joining them up properly would be quite difficult because the one uses
Solr and the other uses PostGIS, but it would be nice to make the
possibility of browsing the data by map more obvious.

Now, how do we treat the models. This extension creates a database
table and that has to be done by hand. Am I correct that there is
still no plugin hook for registering a new table to be created by the
normal machinery? Will the normal machinery handle geo columns that
need to be created by calling a stored procedure?

For augmenting the package display and the search interface, possibly
including the top navigation bar, do we have a convention for
overriding just part of the base-system templates? If necessary do we
break apart the templates as we need now to be able to use genshi to
override bits of them from plugin packages or do we just try to
maintain different versions of the same thing in the plugin?

All in all, very promising.

Cheers,
-w
--