[ckan-dev] Translation issue

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Mon Aug 29 08:49:25 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I agree that we need to get the translation process in order, so I
would propose to add the following steps to the Release Process
(http://wiki.ckan.net/Release_process):

1. Extract python strings 2 weeks before a release is to be made,
using the babel extractor:

$ pip install Babel
$ python setup.py extract_messages

2. Upload the source file to the transifex server:

(requires: http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/client/index.html)

$ tx push --source

3. Send out a notification to ckan-discuss calling for translators to
contribute.

4. During release, pull in the updated translations:

$ tx pull --all

5. Compile and commit them:

$ python setup.py compile_catalog
$ hg commit -m "[i18n] ..."