[ckan-dev] [ckan-discuss] Requiring login to edit / create stuff on thedatahub.org (ckan.net)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 29 17:29:22 UTC 2011

On 22 August 2011 13:23, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
> Rufus,
>
>> Done. From now on you will need to sign up to edit / create data packages.
>
> The first of these works, but visitors can still edit data packages.

Yes. That's true.

> To achieve this, we need to do a 'chmod -R' style command to change
> the permissions for the existing packages:
>
> paster rights make visitor reader package:all
> paster rights remove visitor editor package:all
>
> and change the permissions that new packages receive:
>
> ckan.default_roles.Package = {“visitor”: [“reader”], “logged_in”: [“editor”]}
>
> Are you happy for me to do these? (I'll also add these details to the docs)

No, let's not do this yet as we may revert to open-editing once we
have spam better sorted out and after some further discussion (quite a
few people have indicated on e.g. irc that they like open editing and
we may want to think about distinction between e.g. needing to sign up
to create versus signup to edit).

Rufus