[ckan-dev] "Access denied" when POSTing to a dataset I created

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Dec 6 23:24:33 UTC 2011

On 6 December 2011 18:16, Timothy Lebo <lebot at rpi.edu> wrote:
> ckan-dev,

Welcome!

> I am getting an "Access denied" message when trying to POST a modification to a dataset [1] that I originally created using the web page UI [0].
>
> I used the following steps, based on [2]:
>
> 1) curl -O http://thedatahub.org/api/rest/package/white-house-visitor-access-records
> 2) modified local file "white-house-visitor-access-records" to include a tag ("tags": ["no-deref-vocab"])
> 3) curl http://thedatahub.org/api/rest/package/white-house-visitor-access-records -d @white-house-visitor-access-records -H "Authorization:Aa8...Bb2"
> (where "Aa8...Bb2" is my API key from http://thedatahub.org/user/timrdf)

Can I suggest replacing package with dataset and seeing what happens.

("package" terminology has been replaced with "dataset" throughout
CKAN and the DataHub. package urls redirect to dataset but we have
heard that command line tools / clients can have problems with
redirects.)

> I was successful in applying these steps to add a tag "no-deref-vocab" to the test dataset http://test.ckan.net/dataset/9f825e18-0e0c-40f6-8895-b5392c1ac18a, which I created according to [3].

I note here you have dataset not package ...

> Could anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thank you for your consideration.

Not at all and great to hear from you!

Rufus