[ckan-dev] Mercurial and Git (was: Re: Branching policy and standardizing on branch names)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Feb 10 16:09:57 UTC 2011

On 10 February 2011 13:59, Seb Bacon <seb.bacon at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> ] So far, I still find git easier to work with, but that is probably
>> ] mainly about familiarity.
>>
>> I think unless we start using very advanced or obscure features
>> hg and git are pretty much the same from my point of view.
>
> I agree.  I just find that git cherry-picking means my commits are
> cleaner, and I like the git emacs mode a lot more than any of the hg
> alternatives :)

Have you seen the transplant extension? Also mercurial queues (if you
haven't used them) are pretty amazing and couldn't probably be used
for this (i've only used them for things like: damn messed up that
changeset 3 changesets back, let's unpack them, re-edit it and then
reapply all 3).

Also for other missing anything from git-land:

staging area:

* can use the record extension to select what to go into the commit
interactively
* alternatively mercurial queues can be used if you want to the build
a commit incrementally

rebase

* rebase extension (part of mercurial - just enable it)

edit history

* mercurial queues
* histedit extension - http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HisteditExtension

svn interaction