[ckan-dev] Getting started with CKAN development

Arthur Taylor arthur.taylor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 14:28:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Just a quick note. I'm (potentially, as time allows) interested in
getting involved with some CKAN development and was just checking out
the project to have a poke around. I cloned the github repository
(@29b77a59ad) and followed the 'Developer Installation' readme instructions.

Goes almost smoothly (as a complete stranger to the project), but there
are a couple of issues.

1. Link to the pip requirements is dead (at time of writing):
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckan/raw/default/pip-requirements.txt
2. I came a cropper at step 6. 'paster' and all that follows requires
that you've done 'python setup.py develop' to get some required packages
not included in pip-requirements.txt (this was helpfully pointed out by
William Waites for me on IRC).

... but other than that everything went as planned.

Thanks,

Arthur