[ckan-dev] Getting started with CKAN development

James Gardner james at 3aims.com
Fri Feb 18 14:36:52 UTC 2011

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the update.

The installation instructions have changed again today actually to avoid
this and other problems. The latest instructions are here:

https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckan/src/56cccbbb9d1a/README.txt

Changes are that:

* All requirements are now in pip requirements files, not in setup.py so
no setup.py develop step is needed
* By not creating your virtualenv with --no-site-packages and then
installing all dependencies using --ignore-installed you can mix and
match system packages with those in your virtualenv (handy for avoiding
having to compile lxml etc)
* The pip requirements no longer live in pip-requirements.txt but
instead are in three files in the requires directory so you can choose
to only install dependencies that aren't already met in Ubuntu LTS if
you so choose.
* You now clone the version of CKAN you want directly rather than
getting the requirements version you need and then having CKAN specified
in those requirements

These changes also make it easier for the core team to package CKAN as
.deb files which should make installation for end users even easier in
the future.

Cheers,

James