[ckan-dev] sqlalchemy migrate, dependency issues.

David Raznick kindly at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:05:28 UTC 2011

Hello

I have been wasting a lot of time trying to get migrations to work.

There are two major issues.

* later versions of sqlalchemy 0.5+ are incompatible with the migrate
version currently used.  The later versions of migrate are also incompatible
with earlier sqlalchemy versions.   I do not think there is a way to specify
such dependencies in setup.py.

* If we want to use the new migrate that works on 0.5+ we need to run a
conversion process on our repository.
http://packages.python.org/sqlalchemy-migrate/tools.html.  The new
repository is not backwards compatible.  For this there is the option of
having 2 repositories and keeping them both updated (but I do not recommend
it)

The only sane option seems to be forcing a sqlalchemy upgrade to everyone at
some time convert the repository.

Shall we do this now?  Any advise welcome?

Thanks

David