[ckan-dev] sqlalchemy migrate, dependency issues.

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Wed Jan 26 13:41:11 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
> The question is whether we're happy to run the migrate tool in all our
> CKAN databases, since some of them may be running old CKAN versions,
> perhaps due to old-style plug-ins and customisations.

Just to say: this is a non-trivial effort. There are at the moment
about 28 instances, quite a few of which run on a rather outdated
version. We're increasingly also seeing instances deployed on machines
which we do not have access to or which we're not authorized to change
freely.

Essentially, anything that breaks the migration path should be a
non-starter if there isn't a strong, architectural reason to do it.

- Friedrich

p.s. I have just done a sqla migrate 0.5 -> 0.6 migration on another
project [1] and it just required rewriting the migrations a bit. While
this is ugly, I don't really see a reason for not doing it?

[1] http://trac.adhocracy.de/changeset/8fb58702ce657f10cdf0ac4b39ff0b70c2e1f51d