[ckan-dev] millions of call_timing files

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Jan 26 18:40:45 UTC 2011

On 26 January 2011 18:24, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> * [2011-01-26 17:23:21 +0000] David Read <david.read at okfn.org> écrit:
>
> ] Ok sounds reasonable. Cheers,
>
> Actually, this is controlled by a config variable that
> defaults to off (or should at any rate). Is it only on
> the HMG servers that you're seeing millions of files?

I didn't spot the config option in the code or the config docs - do
add it if it is not clear. I checked for and saw the files on
hmg.ckan.net and eu3/ckan.net (although that is not the active one of
course).

> This brings up another point about coding style. For
> paste based apps, please always use
>
>      from paste.deploy.converters import asbool

Yes that's a useful one - we should use it more.

I saw a terrible one where the mere existence of the config key turned
on a feature, whatever you set it to!

> to check config variables not config.get("foo", None)
> because then you can't write confusing things in the
> config like
>
>       foo_feature = false
>
> to enable it!

Well I hope I didn't write something that allowed that! The docs
should be clear on all the existing features I've been involved with.

> -w
> --
> William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>
> http://eris.okfn.org/ww/         <sip:ww at styx.org>
> F4B3 39BF E775 CF42 0BAB  3DF0 BE40 A6DF B06F FD45

Have you started the wiki or are these tips just going to get left
forgotten in our email tray...?