[ckan-dev] Debian packaging of ckanclient and datapkg

J. Félix Ontañón fontanon at emergya.es
Sun Jul 3 10:20:38 UTC 2011

El día 29 de junio de 2011 00:56, J. Félix Ontañón
<fontanon at emergya.es> escribió:
> El día 23 de junio de 2011 18:00, Rufus Pollock
> <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> escribió:
>> Apologies for the delay -- travelling has made net access intermittent.
>
> No need for apologizes, actually I've been out too.

>> [...]
>>>
>>> So the final idea behind ckanjs/datadeck is to provide a web UI for
>>> doing the same operations you can do with datapkg, am I wrong?
>>
>> Basically: yes -- but I can imagine DataDeck doing more. I've started
>> a wiki page for us to gather thoughts:
>>
>> <http://wiki.ckan.net/DataDeck>
>>
>> Please dive in ...
>
> Great! I've just registered on wiki.ckan.net and updated the mockups
> broken link by uploading the files to the wiki.
> Would this wiki page be the best point to brainstorm about DataDeck?
> Is it better to discuss here at the mailing list?
>
>>> Althoug ckanjs/datadeck approx. sounds multi-platform friendly, first
>>> thing coming to my mind was pure a desktop UI. Thinking, for example,
>>> about the software deployment chain in Ubuntu: debian-repository ->
>>> apt -> ubuntu software center, with data may be: ckan -> ckanclient ->
>>> datapkgUI
>>
>> Right, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I was just thinking a webapp
>> that runs locally makes a lot of sense (why distinguish between
>> desktop and web ...) -- plus I know zero desktop app programming :-)
>
> If fact we're living now a curious moment with open-desktops like
> Gnome3: it allows GUI programming with the traditionally-asociated
> web-progamming language javascript, making easier to integrate web and
> desktop, and yet more!
>
> Another example is the massive use of webkit web-browser-engine for
> developing open-desktop apps. FLOSS-apps like Gwibber and Ubuntu's
> software-center relies on webkit for rendering the main part of the
> GUI, written in html+js. I think this two could be a good references
> to integrate ckanjs into a fulld-desktop app:
> * Using webkit for rendering ckanjs onto a browser
> * Wrapping the webkit browser widget with desktop-gui widgets which
> could manage with the access to filesystem.
>
> Do you like the idea? I think it could be a strightforward way. It
> sounds better, for me, than providing some python-server on the
> background to handle with the filesystem access.

Just for showing what I was trying to expose here: i've made a simple
integration of ckanjs on a python-gtk dekstop-app:

https://bitbucket.org/fontanon/datadeck-mockup

It has only two features:
* It renders ckanjs locally on a webkit view
* It allows to search from the gui widget

The second feature shows how ckanjs jquery functions could be invoked
from the GUI. I mean, the gui and ckanjs can communicate each other.
Of course, with further development the python app could manage with
the filesystem operations, and handle with ckanjs events and
operations.

So, do you like the idea? ckanjs developers can still developing their
way and just expose a clear way for the desktop app developers for
calling jquery functions or listening events.

Kind regards!

P.S.: first bug for datadeck-mockup: it can load the css file if you
don't have network connection. I'll have a look, but I hope it would
be enough for getting this idea of developing datadeck.

--
J. Félix Ontañón Carmona
Manager

Emergya Consultoría
Tfno: +34 954 51 75 77 / +34 661 91 27 26
Fax: +34 954 51 64 73
www.emergya.es