[ckan-dev] Docs status

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at okfn.org
Mon Jul 4 11:06:03 UTC 2011

Hi David

Excellent quote, thanks!

Yes, I think perhaps I was confused between data and metadata too.
Shouldn't be too hard to explain.

The suggested ideas from OKCon are very useful too (copied below for
the benefit of the list).

I'll integrate these and circulate a 2nd draft.

cheers
Anna

------

2 pages about CKAN
=================
Audience: non-techies
Comparison: Socrata, Microsoft

- Benefits, features
- Why open software?
  - avoid long-term lock-in
  - not dependent on any company
  - all customers contribute to feature set - in collaboration
- List of users / references, quotes from them
- History of product
- CKAN developers are long-term, full-time, paid (i.e. not a transient
squabbling band of hackers on the internet)
- Support options, SLAs
  - OKF working with established partners who can provide these
things, to scale as necessary
- Benefit of netweork effect, joining CKANs together
  - harvesting packages, standard CKAN API, federated search
- RDF features (although Robert isn't interested in this, others may well be)
- Storage of data option