[ckan-dev] "Data Package" specification page

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 16:45:24 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Rufus and all,
>
> I've made a short page on the CKAN wiki to propose some changes to
> datapkg that I would consider simplifications of the tool. These
> relate less to the standard than to the software but at the moment my
> feeling is that we should concentrate on use value rather than
> standardization.
>
> http://wiki.ckan.net/Data_Package_Simplification_Proposal
>
> Let me know what you think!

I noticed this statement:

"Data packages are nothing but metadata"

Could you clarify what you mean?

You are proposing (I think) a DVCS frontend to data, as a CLI, where
the history is stored in an upstream server.  Would this differ from
standardizing to SVN?  I'm not proposing that, I just wanted to get an
idea of where you differ...

Best,

Matthew