[ckan-dev] Debian packaging of ckanclient and datapkg

J. Félix Ontañón fontanon at emergya.es
Wed Jul 6 17:27:31 UTC 2011

El 5 de julio de 2011 15:35, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>escribió:

> 2011/6/28 J. Félix Ontañón <fontanon at emergya.es>:
> > El día 23 de junio de 2011 18:00, Rufus Pollock
> > <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> escribió:
> >> Apologies for the delay -- travelling has made net access intermittent.
> >
> > No need for apologizes, actually I've been out too.

> >> [...]
>
> >> Basically: yes -- but I can imagine DataDeck doing more. I've started
> >> a wiki page for us to gather thoughts:
> >>
> >> <http://wiki.ckan.net/DataDeck>
> >>
> >> Please dive in ...
> >
> > Great! I've just registered on wiki.ckan.net and updated the mockups
> > broken link by uploading the files to the wiki.
> > Would this wiki page be the best point to brainstorm about DataDeck?
> > Is it better to discuss here at the mailing list?
>
> I think the wiki could be best for longer discussions with posts to
> list here summarizing and pointing to wiki.

I agree.

> >> Right, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I was just thinking a webapp
> >> that runs locally makes a lot of sense (why distinguish between
> >> desktop and web ...) -- plus I know zero desktop app programming :-)
> >
> > If fact we're living now a curious moment with open-desktops like
> > Gnome3: it allows GUI programming with the traditionally-asociated
> > web-progamming language javascript, making easier to integrate web and
> > desktop, and yet more!
> >
> > Another example is the massive use of webkit web-browser-engine for
> > developing open-desktop apps. FLOSS-apps like Gwibber and Ubuntu's
> > software-center relies on webkit for rendering the main part of the
> > GUI, written in html+js. I think this two could be a good references
> > to integrate ckanjs into a fulld-desktop app:
> > * Using webkit for rendering ckanjs onto a browser
> > * Wrapping the webkit browser widget with desktop-gui widgets which
> > could manage with the access to filesystem.
>
> This sounds really good (and something i did not know about).

An early mockup of ckanjs integrated on a webkit view has been uploaded
here:

https://bitbucket.org/fontanon/datadeck-mockup

I would be glad if anyone could took a look

 > Do you like the idea? I think it could be a strightforward way. It
> > sounds better, for me, than providing some python-server on the
> > background to handle with the filesystem access.
>
> Yes, sure.
> [...]
> under

> > Did you have the chance for testing them?
>
> I haven't yet due to OKCon, but I'm going to try now.

Don't mind. Thanks.

> [...]
> >>
> >> Yes and if at all possible CKAN core (but as you say may be easier to
> >> start with simpler items).
> >
> > IMHO I believe fist step should be python-ckanclient and datapkg, but
> > just because:
> > 1.- I'm pretty sure the packages are very debian-policy friendly .
> > 2.- I want to start "pinging" some debian developers to see how they
> > reacts with my uploading requests.
> >
> > If everything went fine next step would be CKAN core. Do you think i'm
> > on the right way?
>
> Yes.

I hope to get some notices about it next week.

Kind regards.

--
J. Félix Ontañón Carmona
Manager

Emergya Consultoría
Tfno: +34 954 51 75 77 / +34 661 91 27 26
Fax: +34 954 51 64 73
www.emergya.es