[ckan-dev] Move to Github?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Jul 7 17:53:45 UTC 2011

Will,

I wholeheartedly agree that too often technical choices are biassed by
what is familiar or exciting.

And in this case I believe the driver is something else - we want to
encourage more people to get & contribute code and because of its
popularity, Git/GitHub is a lower barrier to entry than
Mercurial/Bitbucket. (Although I agree with Friedrich we should hold
off for now.)

Jonathan also makes a good point that if we replace Skype for meetings
and community chats, then we need something just as easy and
convenient, as well as considering the technical (and political!)
issues.

David