[ckan-dev] Debian packaging of ckanclient and datapkg

J. Félix Ontañón fontanon at emergya.es
Sun Jun 19 10:02:48 UTC 2011

Hi everybody!

I'm J. Félix Ontañón, from Spain. Since I discovered CKAN i've been
figuring out the advantages (if any) of working with CKAN from the
desktop. Though datapkg it's a great tool I wonder whether a GUI could
help increasing the number of users.
So, I thought a nice first step, for Linux users, should be to push
datapkg into most common distros repositories.

I've built a debian source packages for ckanclient and datapkg,
development versions, under a forked mercurial repo of both
okfn/datapkg and okfn/ckanclient:

https://bitbucket.org/fontanon/ckanclient-packaging
https://bitbucket.org/fontanon/datapkg-packaging

In order to make easier for testers, I'm building the releases
ckanclient-0.7 and datapkg-0.8 for Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 11.04 under
a Launchpad PPA repository (It will take yet some time for the Ubuntu
binary packages to be available):

https://launchpad.net/~fontanon/+archive/ckanutils/+packages

If the packages worked quite well and you thought pushing
ckanclient/datapkg into debian/ubuntu it's a good idea, I would speak
with some debian developers / Ubuntu MOTU.

Kind Regards.

--
http://fontanon.org