[ckan-dev] Listing rest of ODC apps on publicdata.eu?

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Jun 23 20:27:25 UTC 2011

(clueless here; asking ckan-dev for help)

The issue is authorization: to check if a user is allowed to add an
app, we need to introduce a set of new permissions. The problem with
this is that the code that checks these rights (Authorizer) lists the
entities it knows (Packages, Groups, etc.) in several places. I have
absolutely no clue how to make this more flexible without completely
refactoring the authz code.

Another option would be to hard-code some kind of behavior: people who
are logged in can do it, other can't - or something like that. But
that defeats the whole purpose of having an authorization system in
the first place.

Finally, apps aren't like packages in that we want them to be wiki
items: they're much less collaborative, so only the original creator
and a sysadmin should be able to modify them.

Any thoughts on this?

- Friedrich

--
Open Knowledge Foundation