[ckan-dev] Listing rest of ODC apps on publicdata.eu?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Jun 24 09:10:19 UTC 2011

On 23 June 2011 21:27, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> (clueless here; asking ckan-dev for help)
>
> The issue is authorization: to check if a user is allowed to add an
> app, we need to introduce a set of new permissions. The problem with
> this is that the code that checks these rights (Authorizer) lists the
> entities it knows (Packages, Groups, etc.) in several places.
> I have
> absolutely no clue how to make this more flexible without completely
> refactoring the authz code.

So this is the known problem of making protection objects for objects
introduced by CKAN extensions? In the same way that the model should
be separate from the core CKAN model, so should the auth be.

I think there may well be opportunity to add some sort of core help
for extensions to handle their model and model auth in the future, and
use cases like Apps helps think about how it might be.

Note, the authz is being refactored currently by David Raznick,
independent of extensions. http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1094

> Another option would be to hard-code some kind of behavior: people who
> are logged in can do it, other can't - or something like that.

I think that basic approach may be the best plan for the time being,
whilst David's stuff is completed and the smoke clears - restrict it
to logged in people or sysadmins.

David