[ckan-dev] Publishers vs. Publisher-centric package management

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 23 10:11:15 UTC 2011

On 23 June 2011 10:54, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to see were going to make Publishers first-class citizens in
> CKAN. Still, I'd like to advocate going the whole way on this and
> introducing a github like, user-centric package model. I've detailed
> this in a comment:
>
> http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1199#comment:1

Correcting: <http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1198#comment:1> (BTW: this
should definitely be a *separate* ticket).

I'm a massive +1 on this (I've been thinking this a lot over the last
few months and I like it more and more). I think we should move to a
model in which we have:

http://thedatahub.org/{user-or-org-name}/{dataset-name}

This of course requires us have a single 'first-class' "dataset"
object (i.e. resolving the package versus resources debate). But even
without that I think:

http://thedatahub.org/{user-or-org-name}/package/{name}
http://thedatahub.org/{user-or-org-name}/resource/{name}

One thing this will emphasize / require though is forking ...

> Just to underline: I don't mean this needs to be done by next week
> (although, why not..) but that it is the general thing we should agree
> on.

Understood. I've created a pad for putting down stuff we want to work
on / talk about during the sprint:

Rufus