[ckan-dev] Publishers vs. Publisher-centric package management

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Jun 23 10:44:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 23 June 2011 10:54, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm happy to see were going to make Publishers first-class citizens in
>> CKAN. Still, I'd like to advocate going the whole way on this and
>> introducing a github like, user-centric package model. I've detailed
>> this in a comment:
>>
>> http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1199#comment:1
>
> Correcting: <http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1198#comment:1> (BTW: this
> should definitely be a *separate* ticket).

Yes, it should be a separate ticket but I wanted to prevent us from
creating a Publisher ("in the mean time") object that would then begin
generating its own PK IDs, making it harder to join up with the users
table in the proposed Agent table. Why not create these basic domain
objects now, instead, and then fix Authz and URL routing later?

> One thing this will emphasize / require though is forking ...

Yep, I hope this will help the poor package relationships (so useful
in theory, so awkward in practice) to a nice use case....

>> Just to underline: I don't mean this needs to be done by next week
>> (although, why not..) but that it is the general thing we should agree
>> on.
>
> Understood. I've created a pad for putting down stuff we want to work
> on / talk about during the sprint:

Your turn with the link :-)

- Friedrich