[ckan-dev] Transifex

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri May 20 08:43:34 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011 08:45, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> The transifex workflow at the moment is roughly this:
>
> 0) Install transifex command-line utilities, "tx init" in ckan to
> connect to Transifex
> 1) We run python setup.py extract_messages on the CKAN source
> 2) Upload the local .pot file via command-line "tx push"
> 3) Get people to complete translations on Transifex
> 4) Pull locale .po files via "tx pull"
> 5) python setup.py compile_catalog
> 6) Commit & push po and mo files
>
> This should really be integrated with the release cycle (e.g. push new
> po template on feature freeze, notify i18n people, pull before
> release, make sure test suite runs against localized versions or
> prepare a subset that would), but at the moment it isn't. CCing more
> people to raise some awareness here ;-)

Friedrich, many thanks for this. I've added these to our docs:
http://wiki.ckan.net/CKAN_Internationalization_Guide

I update the pot file with every release, but sounds like we need to
do a fair bit more to look after Transifex. (
http://trac.ckan.org/wiki/ReleaseProcess )

I'm still a bit in the dark about the ckan-i18n repository, where
Transifex edits go to: https://bitbucket.org/bboissin/ckan-i18n
Currently only Benoit, Friedrich and Rufus have rights to it and it
has been left untouched for 6 months, so I guess we should resurrect
it.

How about, as the one doing releases right now, I push changes from
ckan to ckan-i18n and keep Transifex up to date.

We talked before about the problem of Transifex making millions of
changesets in that repo - one for each po edit. I think the mercurial
revert command can be used to merge these changesets into one and then
I can applying that to our main ckan repo. Either that or I just copy
the po files and not care about losing the history.

How about we update the pot when we branch for release, and then use
the following week (leading up to release) to get translators to
update the po files on Transifex? And then on release I get the po
files, compile them and include them in the release.

David