[ckan-dev] Feature: new system checkin / status API

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at okfn.org
Mon May 9 10:41:05 UTC 2011

On 9 May 2011 10:26, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> We can just publicise an opt-in wiki page, put your CKAN instance
> here.

I don't think our social solution works.  See the sysadmin emails this
morning from James.  How do we know its owner?  Only a tiny proportion
of people bother to opt in.  As more organisations want to use CKAN,
fewer and fewer of them have tech backgrounds and/or opting into a
wiki or signing up to a mailing list will be outside their comfort
zone.

On 9 May 2011 10:26, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> Note that there is also an action-item from the catalogue interop
> meeting to work out a way of making a big meta-catalogue, and this
> includes but is not limited to known CKAN instances. However this
> gets done will be much more useful than an elaborate CKAN-only
> setup.

I've been convinced a check-in is too elaborate, but how about a
googleable string to help supplement opt-in lists?

On 9 May 2011 10:12, Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> Its perfectly legitimate to use
> CKAN in a closed an non-reported way and I know of several such
> deployments. Builidng in a call-home feature costs us time while not
> producing much value for our users, I think.

OK, so the simplest implementation is an API call that reports the
administrator address and CKAN version; plus some kind of googleable
string to enable finding public instances via a web search.  Better?

The proximate value isn't for our users but for us -- knowing who to
contact when there's a security issue or a performance problem is
important in maintaining an ecosystem of software that is seen to be
reliable etc.  However, knowing stats about deployed versions etc will
be quite useful in terms of understanding our community and how they
work, which will in turn help inform directions for the software, so
it certainly benefits them indirectly.

Seb