[ckan-dev] Resolving CEP versus CREP naming

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon May 16 15:47:31 UTC 2011

On 16 May 2011 16:11, Seb Bacon <seb.bacon at okfn.org> wrote:
> I'm +1 on "CREP".

Great. I believe CREP is a landslide - Seb can we call it a decision yet?

> Good point from David about CREP number.  I suppose the reason *not*
> to tie it to ticket number is then it may not be portable between
> ticketing systems.

I guess the key thing is that they persist their number during the
time it takes to be turned into docs.

If you mint a crap a small number e.g. "CREP 5", it's easier to
remember, but you still need to know the ticket number to be able to
find it. A wiki index is not as good as a ticket report/query.

I think CREPs are in danger of falling between two stools now -
tickets and checked-in RST / docs.

I think there are more benefits of them integrating well into the
tickets, because they are the next stage in the dev process. So I say
let's make them display like tickets (so usual ticket Wiki formatting,
unless there is a way to display RST in tickets), are numbered as
tickets and have a lifecycle like a ticket. The key differences from
tickets are:
* they are called CREP
* they are more elaborate (Seb's suggested template)
* discussion is solicited
Otherwise I'm comfortable with losing other arbitrary distinctions from tickets.

David