[ckan-dev] CKAN and RDF/SPARQL

William Waites ww at styx.org
Wed May 25 13:44:26 UTC 2011

* [2011-05-25 10:43:03 +0100] David Read <david.read at okfn.org> écrit:

] Will, do say if I've not covered all the bases, but I don't think the
] way CKAN stores its data internally is an issue for dealing in RDF to
] the outside world. We can happily store any RDF properties of a
] package in the extra fields, using JSON structures if necessary.

You could do that but it would be really weird. The "RDF properties"
are already the same properties that a package has. So yes, you
could cache them in an extras field, but you wouldn't be able to
query them in any meaningful way.

] I anticipate Ed wanting customised html for viewing and editing a
] package anyway, so that can deal with the extras being stored as lists
] etc.. The only extension necessary would be for adding the RDF package
] in/out to the API (and D2R sounds useful for this, as well as
] providing an SPARQL endpoint). And SOLR's schema would need updating
] to cope with these non-textual extra fields.

See above about querying. You need a sane database schema to use
something like D2R, it won't work if your information is stuffed
in a JSON-encoded field.

This is not a good idea.

-w
--