[ckan-dev] publicdata.eu Sprint plan

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu May 26 09:15:19 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Seb Bacon <seb.bacon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 May 2011 16:55, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Adrià and I have just had a call to coordinate the upcoming PDEU
>> sprint leading into the digital assembly on the 16th. You can find the
>> tasks we've agreed upon in this pad:
>>
>> http://ckan.okfnpad.org/digital-assembly
>>
>> James, Jason: could you give this the nod (tm)?
>>
>> Everyone: I'd be very interested in sites that you consider as good
>> templates for re-theming CKAN?
>
> Can you give some context for the re-theming?  Who's the customer and
> what are their users like?  Geeks, general public, ..?  Is this a
> standard CKAN site?

The goal here is to do a two-part thing:

1) Offer a strongly simplfied version, read-only of CKAN under
publicdata.eu with as much European catalogue data federated into it
as useful.

2) Backport the simplified and modernized theme to CKAN main to help
give us a bit more shininess.

In all of this, there is no real customer but ourselves and the fact
that pd.eu should be a very simple service people want to come back to
for data search.

> Also: re-theming meaning just CSS and header, or more fundamental UI goodness?

No, this is mostly about CSS, but I must admit to thinking about
restructuring the HTML of CKAN a little bit - if we're going to
incorporate another layout, the next version of CKAN (with its
breaking change in forms handling) would be a reasonable point to do
so (let the protests begin here...)

>> Currently GitHub, Quora, Google
>> Projects & Fusion Tables are at the top of my list -which info sites
>> do you like best?
>
> In terms of pure visual looks:
> I like http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbs=isg%3Ato&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pizza
> but I don't like Google Code

Curious, rgrp thinks so too while I find it very functional. I'm just
a fan of those really stripped down things, like
http://correlate.googlelabs.com/ that was released yesterday: simple
side bar, search bar, account header - done.

- Friedrich