[ckan-dev] Datapkggui - proposals & questions

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 2 12:27:45 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel,

Apologies for slightly slow reply.

Suggest you just name this the DataDeck as per http://wiki.ckan.org/DataDeck

> should be a tiny change in dpm architecture for simplifying other's
> work.
>
> There should be a library wrapping the common operations of dpm -
> defined as functions - using dpm models as input and output of course.
> See http://task3.cc/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Proposed-Architecture.png
> for an example.

Agreed. I've tried to start having a middle layer in dpm but more work
is needed.

> This little layer of abstraction would really help me.
> In theory this is not a difficult task: we should take dpm.cli
> Commands and wrap their code inside functions. Then, dpm.cli,
> datapkggui.gui and future projects should use it.
> I already started a tiny example here:
> https://github.com/dgraziotin/datapkggui/blob/master/datapkggui/lib.py
> I am adding/modifying its code when I need the functionalities in the GUI.

Is it possible for you to fork dpm and work on that and then make pull
requests rather than putting in GUI layer? If you start out small we
can get an idea of where this is going and move pretty quicly.

> Questions:
> 1) Do you have suggestions for the name of my project?

DataDeck as per above.

> 2) Do you think that this library has sense to exist? I can continue
> to work on it. It should then be moved to dpm, what do you think?

Agreed. See previous.

> 3) Being datapkggui written using wxPython, it should have a good
> support for different OS. Can it directly be coded inside dpm, e.g.
> dpm.gui or dpm.wxgui? I am not a setuptools master, but I think there

Python now supports 'subpackages' so this is possible. For the moment
it may be best to keep this in a separate repo though can be persuaded
either way. Already have:

<https://github.com/okfn/datadeck>

Which we could deprecate / rename and replace with your code :-)

Rufus

> may exists the possibility to install the GUI by adding an option to
> setup.py, or simply by checking if wxPython is installed in the
> system. This makes sense if point 2 is valid. In that case, point 1
> would be pointless, too.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Dott. Daniel Graziotin
> -email: d at danielgraziotin.it