[ckan-dev] Datapkggui - proposals & questions

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 2 20:48:35 UTC 2011

On 2 November 2011 20:25, Daniel Graziotin <d at danielgraziotin.it> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> On 2 November 2011 15:19, Daniel Graziotin <d at danielgraziotin.it> wrote:
>>> Forgot to add this: I will take http://wiki.ckan.org/DataDeck page to
>>> host the principal information of DataDeck
>>
>> Great. If you can add to and extend existing info rather than
>> completely overwriting :-)
>>
>> Also just supporting dpm is no problem because dpm *is* datapkg now
>> (datapkg is no more!)
>>
>> rufus
>>
> Ok, good.
>
> On dpm.lib:
> I've already made some tests, just forgot to add them in the pull
> request, sorry :) In any case you are right, the library is already
> outdated because of some changes in dpm internal API. Will sort this
> out and make a new pull request.
>
> What should I do with not yet implemented functionalities of the
> library? Right now they just have a "pass" in them. Should I either
> omit them from the code / express the omission in comments or keep
> them as they are?

Put in pass and comment about what you need!

> I see that there is some demand for the GUI. it has been downloaded
> 300+ times since the very first release less than a two weeks ago. I

That's brilliant.

> follow a "release more, release VERY often" policy, because my stage
> ends on 2011-12-07. Therefore, I push changes once or twice each day
> and create releases once or twice each week. If the library is
> integrated in dpm, there is a synchronization problem: I can not
> release new DataDeck versions before my changes in the library are
> accepted and integrated. What can we do to sort this out? If you trust

You keep the code on your side and as it gets moved to dpm you can
remove at your end. We will also aim to pick up dpm dev rate ...

(please also file issues in dpm for what you plan to do or need doing ;-) )

> me, you can let me enter as a collaborator to dpm repository and I
> won't touch anything but the library and its tests. Otherwise, I

I've added you (though good if you still make submissions as pull
requests -- i'll try doing this as well ...)

> kindly ask you to constantly keep an eye to the pull requests queue,
> or I will really be slowed down. After 2011-12-07 I will not abandon

Let's try doing pull requests for a couple then you just go ahead ...

> the project - I like it very much - but I will dedicate less time on
> it to favor my MSc studies and thesis, I have to. I will also stress
> you all less :)

This is great. It is just the last week has been hectic. You also know
there is a #ckan channel on freenode where you can drop in for help as
needed (most of the team are there on a regular basis).

Rufus

--
Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation