[ckan-dev] CKAN Debian Packaging Community Meetup

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 06:54:35 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Nils Toedtmann
<nils.toedtmann at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi *
>

> [ James: i hope it's ok if i chip in here :-)  ]
>

> Maintaining packages for different target systems is quite some work.
>
> E.g. many interesting distributions do not come with all libraries CKAN
> relies on, or with too old versions. In these cases one has to package
> the missing libs without running into conflicts (e.g. CKAN requires
> linxyz >= 2.0, but target distro only provides linxyz-1.5, and has other
> packages which depend on linxyz <= 1.5). Therefore "one debian and one
> rpm package" won't cut it. Instead, each distribution release might need
> its own, slightly different set of additional library packages.
>
> We currently do not have the capacity to do that. If we happened to
> package for more targets ourselves, i assume ubuntu-current (11.04) and
> debian stable came first.
>
> That said, package maintenance could be a good task for volunteers.
>
> So if one is familiar with debian or rpm-style packaging and wants to
> help out, please come forward :-)
>
> /nils.

I'm working on a set of projects that can be hard to build; we're
using buildbot:

http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/

Setup is relatively straightforward:

https://github.com/nipy/nibotmi/blob/master/install.rst
https://github.com/nipy/nibotmi/blob/master/master.cfg

Buildout is good for testing that you've recorded all the
dependencies, at least for packages that easy_install in a pleasant
way.   I'm sure you know that though,

Cheers,

Matthew