[ckan-dev] CKAN Debian Packaging Community Meetup

James Gardner james at 3aims.com
Wed Sep 21 08:46:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,

[After this email let's keep this discussion on ckan-dev now that people
know about the community meet up shall we?]

1. Multiple distributions

Nils is right, it is a lot of work getting package dependencies correct
for just one distribution, and since all the OKF's servers run Ubuntu
LTS, that's the one we've concentrated our initial efforts on. The .deb
vs .rpm issue isn't such a big deal, we can build packages for either,
its really just the time it takes to get all the dependencies right and
do the thorough testing required to make sure the install doesn't cause
problems for any existing software running on the system.

Having said that we've overcome the first hurdle and learned a lot by
getting CKAN packaged for one distribution, so I agree with Nils that if
there was enough interest we could have have community members host
"unofficial" versions for other distributions (Ubutnu 10.10, Centos 5
etc). We could help with that effort and perhaps over time make them
official too. For the moment though, I think we should concnetrate on
making the packaged CKAN for Ubuntu 10.04 really good, and if that work
goes well I'd love to see a version of CKAN available out of the box on
the next Ubuntu LTS in April 2012.

2. Minor versions

@Marc Actually we've done the opposite of what you suggest and, where
packages aren't available in Ubuntu itself, we've been very strict about
precisely which versions of dependencies we need. Although it would be
nice if we could, it simply isn't possible to support both Pylons 0.9.7
and 0.10 and 1.0 etc all at the same time. The same goes for other
dependencies too.

3. Buildbot

@Matthew, yes we actually already use BuildBot to run our automated test
CKAN test suites, it uses pip to install CKAN and its dependencies
before running the tests. I'm also developing a piece of software called
BuildKit which, once BuildBot has run, will take the tested code and
generate the .deb packages automatically. I'll be talking about it at
the community meetup.

Cheers,

James