[ckan-dev] Version numbers on master

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Tue Apr 24 12:07:57 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Just a little heads up for those who merge a release branch into
master. There are a couple of files that need to be manually edited
after the merge, because they have version numbers on them:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/ckan/__init__.py
https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/pip-requirements.txt

It's no big deal, but it may affect a couple of things:

* The version number on ckan/__init__.py appears in the "Powered by"
link, so for instance http://thedatahub.org/ shows 1.6.1b
I'm not sure if we should have a version number in master at all,
maybe 'master' or 'latest' will make clearer that this is the latest
development version. If you prefer a number, it should be the next
major release + 'a' (eg '1.8a'). What do you guys think?

* The docs on http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/ are pulled from the
branch pointed in pip-requirements.txt, so right now they are built
from the 1.6.1 release branch. I suggest that when on the master
branch, we always use 'master' as branch, so the latest docs are built
from master.

Also, what do you think of having a notice in the docs homepage saying
which version you are looking at? We get quite a few confused users
looking at the wrong version of the docs.

http://i.imgur.com/bj3Cy.png

The new theme for the docs does not include links to previous
versions, so I we'd probably need to point to the hovering ones that
Read the docs adds (not shown on the screenshot, see
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/index.html)

Adrià