[ckan-dev] Use git submodules to manage recline in CKAN

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Apr 12 18:50:36 UTC 2012

Hey,

we're using them in OpenSpending and they are clearly the right solution in theory. In practice, keeping them in sync, making sure they get deployed when necessary and explaining them to people who just want to play with your codebase has proven a horrible PITA.

I think we're now moving to a model where the URL of that sub-component is configurable (openspendingjs, as openspending.script_root in the .ini) so people can either check it out into pylons' public/ directory or just set another path (I have apache running locally and share my code root on localhost). The nice side-effect of this is that it forces you to use url builder helpers for assets, so you get asset subdomains, cache-bombing etc. for free.

- Friedrich