[ckan-dev] dataset urls

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 12:06:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm sending this again.

I think I wasn't clear enough on the reason for this request.  It is mainly
for the disqus plugin.  Although the plugin uses a unique id for the disqus
comments eg dataset::3233-112312-32112 so comments can follow url changes.
However when the first comment for that id is first created disqus saves
the url of the page (this url is setable so we can give any url we want at
this time).  The problem is that the url is used in the recent comments
part of disqus so that if url changes in ckan all links in the recent
comments for that dataset will no longer work.  It may be possible to
change this somewhere in the discus dashboard but I haven't found it

the options
a) we don't care use the current dataset url

b) use the /dataset/uuid url (ugly but solves the problem)

c) Sean's solution keep old urls (adds extra complexity)

d) Sean's solution don't let people change urls (nasty if spelling mistakes
in url etc)

e) provide permanent urls that do redirects to the actual url

What should we do?

thanks

Toby