[ckan-dev] dataset urls

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Apr 19 09:39:31 UTC 2012

> With both the disqus and social plugins we have an issue that when the url
> for a dataset is changed we loose/break all shares/comment info.
>
> One option is to use the /dataset/uuid url which already works but this is
> ugly.
>
> A second is to have some redirect url that we can use for this purpose so
> that we have permanent urls
>
> If we where to go for the second option then we could also do our own url
> shortening at the same time something like ckan.org/s/rfY6f which would
> also be useful for sharing via twitter etc
>
> Personally I quite like the url shortening redirect
>
> Thoughts?

Initial feeling is that it's bad that people can change dataset URLs.
Shouldn't they be permalinks? But I can understand that they might want
to change it if they want to change the name of the dataset or make it
look nicer or something. Maybe when they change a dataset's URL, that
dataset should still remain visible at its old URL(s)?