[ckan-dev] Demo glitches

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Tue Aug 7 15:00:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

A few issues I found when testing the demo a few days ago.

1. The 'What are Groups?' text at <http://demo.ckan.org/group> is a
bit naff. Here is a suggested replacement:

What are groups?

Groups allow you to group users and data together so that they are
easier to manage. For example datasets in a group could be visible
only to group members, or publicly visible but only editable by group
members.

Groups can be used to collect together datasets from a single
publisher, or related to a particular project, for example.
<<<

2. On the dataset page, the left sidebar is confusing.

- It starts with some random links. Actually they are links to groups
which the dataset is in, but this isn't clear.
- The sidebar elements that are actually part of the dataset are
'Datset extent' and 'License', so these should be at the top (if they
belong in the sidebar at all), instead of which they are right at the
bottom in the junk part of the page (i.e. probably lower than the
bottom of the main page, and hence lower than anyone will scroll).

3. Uploading a file behaves counter-intuitively (I would suggest wrongly).

When adding a new resource by uploading a file, I select a file called
say create-group.png. I expect the following to happen:

 * the pathname of that file is filled in the box;
 * nothing is actually uploaded till I hit 'add' (confirming that I've
got the right file etc).

Instead of this,

 * the file is immediately and, seemingly, irrevocably uploaded;
 * the box is filled with a mysterious URL
(https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/ckan-demo ...)
 * the mysterious URL is so long I can't even see the final element,
which is my file name.

I also had some kind of problem with previewing but I can't seem to
remember what it was ...

Mark

--
Mark Wainwright, CKAN Community Co-ordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation http://okfn.org/