[ckan-dev] Problem installing ckan

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Aug 22 08:56:46 UTC 2012

> I am very new to Ubuntu and I was trying to install ckan. But I get an
> error message when I put this command : sudo apt-get install -y ckan, I get
> :
>
> unable to locate package ckan.

Did you successfully run these two commands?

echo "deb http://apt.ckan.org/ckan-1.7 lucid universe" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ckan.list
sudo apt-get update

after those two then sudo apt-get install ckan should work.

> ( Also I get the same message as for postgresql-8.4. and solr-jetty)

That's weird, do you have Ubuntu's universe repository enabled?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

By the way, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

> Also I ran as said in the doc, wget -qO- "
> http://apt.ckan.org/packages_public.key" | sudo apt-key add -,
>
> I had the following message : gpg : no valid openPGP data found

Maybe this was a temporary glitch, and if you try again it will succeed.
Also could be that the command beginning with "echo" above needs to run
successfully before this one will run. If neither of those then I'm not
sure.