[ckan-dev] RE : Trouble installing ckan

mehdi benchoufi benchoufi.mehdi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:53:37 UTC 2012

Hi Sean,

I am sorry but I didn't succeed to copy-paste content because I am using
Ubuntu with VirtualBox, so I can copy-paste from 'Ubuntu to Ubuntu' but not
from 'Ubuntu to my Mac', but perhaps there is a way to do it.

My response below :

2012/8/23 Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org>

> > I am trying to install ckan. In fact, working with Ubuntu 12.04, I had to
> > follow this doc :
> > http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7.1/install-from-source.html
> >
> > But at step 4, when running : pip install --ignore-installed -e git+
> > https://github.com/okfn/ckan.git#egg=ckan,
> > Numbers of files were downloaded, but the process seemed not to be
> > complete.
>
> I need to see the actual output from your terminal to see what might be
> the problem. Can you copy and paste it? Note that it's possible to
> select some of the text in your terminal using the mouse and then copy
> it by right-clicking on it and choosing Copy, then you can paste it into
> an email.

Quite strangely, I tried the command again and I was told that ckan was
successfully installed

> > Then at Step 5, I didn't find the files requires/lucid_missing.txt,
> > requires/conflict.txt, requires/lucid_present.txt.
>
> What version of CKAN did you download? If you used this command in step
> 4 of the source install instructions:
>
> pip install --ignore-installed -e git+
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan.git#egg=ckan

That's what I downloaded

> then you would get the latest development version of CKAN. If instead
> you used this command:
>
> pip install --ignore-installed -e git+
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan.git@ckan-1.7.1#egg=ckan
>
> then you would get CKAN 1.7.1. If you're following the 1.7.1 source
> install instructions you need to download CKAN 1.7.1 not master. (I can
> see this should probably be clarified in the docs).

 You'll find here :
http://www.2shared.com/photo/hkoN3AyT/Capture_dcran_2012-08-23__1245.html

the ls command result in the folder /pyenv/src/ckan, you'll see there is no
requirements folder