[ckan-dev] Trouble installing ckan

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Aug 23 10:14:34 UTC 2012

> I am trying to install ckan. In fact, working with Ubuntu 12.04, I had to
> follow this doc :
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7.1/install-from-source.html
>
> But at step 4, when running : pip install --ignore-installed -e git+
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan.git#egg=ckan,
> Numbers of files were downloaded, but the process seemed not to be
> complete.

I need to see the actual output from your terminal to see what might be
the problem. Can you copy and paste it? Note that it's possible to
select some of the text in your terminal using the mouse and then copy
it by right-clicking on it and choosing Copy, then you can paste it into
an email.

> Then at Step 5, I didn't find the files requires/lucid_missing.txt,
> requires/conflict.txt, requires/lucid_present.txt.

What version of CKAN did you download? If you used this command in step
4 of the source install instructions:

pip install --ignore-installed -e git+https://github.com/okfn/ckan.git#egg=ckan

then you would get the latest development version of CKAN. If instead
you used this command:

pip install --ignore-installed -e git+https://github.com/okfn/ckan.git@ckan-1.7.1#egg=ckan

then you would get CKAN 1.7.1. If you're following the 1.7.1 source
install instructions you need to download CKAN 1.7.1 not master. (I can
see this should probably be clarified in the docs).