[ckan-dev] Is list of extensions at https://github.com/okfn/ exhaustive?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Sun Dec 2 12:03:55 UTC 2012

> Ooops, I see now that all the extensions appear to be at
> https://github.com/okfn/   :p

Yeah, just searching for repos with names beginning with ckanext- in the
okfn organization on github is currently the closest thing we have to a
comprehensive list of CKAN extensions, as far as I know. I believe
you'll find all OKFN-developed extensions there, so it's fairly
comprehensive, extensions that have been developed by third parties and
are hosted elsewhere would not show up.

As for which extensions work  with CKAN 2.0, some have been tested but
we haven't finally decided exactly which extensions we want to support
in 2.0 and gone over them to make sure they all work. Since CKAN 2.0 is
still in alpha development, extensions that do work now could still be
broken again. I think once CKAN 2.0 goes into beta, then we'll go over
the extensions.

For now, I would look at the README file and commit history of each
extension. You may see something in there that shows that someone has
got it working with CKAN 2.0. If there's nothing and the extension
hasn't been updated for a long time, then you may be the first person to
try it with CKAN 2.0, and you just have to try it out to see if it
works.

The main thing to look for is any template overriding or customising
that an extension does. This part of an extension would certainly need
to be rewritten for CKAN 2.0.