[ckan-dev] Is list of extensions at https://github.com/okfn/ exhaustive?

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 13:15:13 UTC 2012

On 2 December 2012 12:03, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> > Ooops, I see now that all the extensions appear to be at
> > https://github.com/okfn/   :p
>
> Yeah, just searching for repos with names beginning with ckanext- in the
> okfn organization on github is currently the closest thing we have to a
> comprehensive list of CKAN extensions, as far as I know. I believe
> you'll find all OKFN-developed extensions there, so it's fairly
> comprehensive, extensions that have been developed by third parties and
> are hosted elsewhere would not show up.
>
> As for which extensions work  with CKAN 2.0, some have been tested but
> we haven't finally decided exactly which extensions we want to support
> in 2.0 and gone over them to make sure they all work. Since CKAN 2.0 is
> still in alpha development, extensions that do work now could still be
> broken again. I think once CKAN 2.0 goes into beta, then we'll go over
> the extensions.
>
> For now, I would look at the README file and commit history of each
> extension. You may see something in there that shows that someone has
> got it working with CKAN 2.0. If there's nothing and the extension
> hasn't been updated for a long time, then you may be the first person to
> try it with CKAN 2.0, and you just have to try it out to see if it
> works.

There may also be a ckan 2.0 specific branch in some extensions

> The main thing to look for is any template overriding or customising
> that an extension does. This part of an extension would certainly need
> to be rewritten for CKAN 2.0.

yep, new jinja2 templates do not support the IGenshiFilter extension
point.  The resources are also handled differently so JavaScript needs to
be handled via the {% resource %} tag if it relies on JQuery or ckan code.
Extensions should now add content either via helper functions that they
define via ITemplateHelpers (will work for new or old/templates) or should
extend templates via {% ckan_extends %} tag for new jinja2 templates.