[ckan-dev] python-ckanclient on Debian Sid (unstable) and dpm packaging issues

J. Félix Ontañón fontanon at emergya.es
Tue Feb 14 15:52:44 UTC 2012

2012/2/13 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
> 2012/2/11 J. Félix Ontañón <fontanon at emergya.es>:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce python-ckanclient-0.9 has been succesfully
>> packaged[1] and accepted[2] in Debian Sid for several archs[3].
>> As Ubuntu guys uses to sync packages from Sid (except LTS releases)
>> I'm hoping this will be available in next Ubuntu 12.04 repos too.
>
> Wow this is brilliant! Would you be up. perchance, for helping us get
> CKAN itself into Debian Sid (and possibly Ubuntu?). Given that we
> already build for Ubuntu LTS we should be able to get it accepted :-)

Sure! Actually packaging dpm and ckanclient for debian is some kind of
"baptism of fire": I wouldn't work on bringing CKAN itself to debian
if neither ckanclient or dpm where accepted.

>> Nowadays I'm working on dpm packaging[4] but got some issues:
>> * dpm package name is already used by Disk Pool Manager[5], part of
>> the gLite middleware suite.
>
> Hmm, I'd noticed that. What do you suggest? Is there an actual
> conflict in script name or just in package name. If the latter we
> could tweak the package name. If the former we have a trickier time.

The point is that this two packages ..
* dpm-mysql
* dpm-postgresql
... installs an exec on /usr/bin/dpm via update-alternatives method

This means a conflict with the script name. A third solution would be
to tweak the script name at debian source package, maintaining dpm
name for the script at upstream. Anyway, i'll ask some debian
developers for solutions with similar scenarios.

>> * dpm lastest release has no manpage for the executable file. I've
>> created one[6] but a new version including it should be released in
>> order to package an original released tarball containing the manpage.
>
> Happy for that to merge in.

I'll request a pull soon :)

>> * dpm includes docs: they should be included in a dpm-doc like package
>> or not packaged at all. What do you think it's better?
>
> My feeling on a first pass would be just to instruct people in man
> page about location online rather than doing a dpm-doc at this stage.

This way is easier and straightforward too.