[ckan-dev] python-ckanclient on Debian Sid (unstable) and dpm packaging issues

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 13 09:28:31 UTC 2012

2012/2/11 J. Félix Ontañón <fontanon at emergya.es>:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm happy to announce python-ckanclient-0.9 has been succesfully
> packaged[1] and accepted[2] in Debian Sid for several archs[3].
> As Ubuntu guys uses to sync packages from Sid (except LTS releases)
> I'm hoping this will be available in next Ubuntu 12.04 repos too.

Wow this is brilliant! Would you be up. perchance, for helping us get
CKAN itself into Debian Sid (and possibly Ubuntu?). Given that we
already build for Ubuntu LTS we should be able to get it accepted :-)

> Nowadays I'm working on dpm packaging[4] but got some issues:
> * dpm package name is already used by Disk Pool Manager[5], part of
> the gLite middleware suite.

Hmm, I'd noticed that. What do you suggest? Is there an actual
conflict in script name or just in package name. If the latter we
could tweak the package name. If the former we have a trickier time.

> * dpm lastest release has no manpage for the executable file. I've
> created one[6] but a new version including it should be released in
> order to package an original released tarball containing the manpage.

Happy for that to merge in.

> * dpm includes docs: they should be included in a dpm-doc like package
> or not packaged at all. What do you think it's better?

My feeling on a first pass would be just to instruct people in man
page about location online rather than doing a dpm-doc at this stage.

Rufus

> There's solution for every issue, but first is the one that annoys me more.
> Cheers!
>
> [1] https://github.com/okfn/ckanclient/tree/debian-sid
> [2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/ckanclient.html
> [3] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ckanclient