[ckan-dev] Switching general support questions and queries to SO (take 3)

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Jul 25 14:14:08 UTC 2012

> Are we monitoring stackoverflow CKAN tag? Can we definitively announce
> that is the default place for support questions?

I'm subscribed to the tag, but my worry about officially promoting it is
that I don't think the CKAN devs or community are behind this, as
evidenced by nobody has posted any questions or answers. Given that, I
don't want a whole lot of questions to start showing up on SO where only
a couple of people will be reading them and having to answer them all.

When I've spoken to other CKAN devs about it points I've heard are that
many of the questions we get on the lists would not fit into SO's Q&A
format, that it would split the community and be one more place where
information gets distributed to when we already have too many, and
general lack of enthusiasm for joining and using SO.

Personally I'm on the fence about it, there are things that I like about
SO (and the thought of all the points I could have had by now!) but I
think some of the points against it are valid also.