[ckan-dev] Config file troubles,

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 11:35:53 UTC 2012

On 26 July 2012 12:25, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> > I am new to ckan and Linux , and I have been assigned a project to
> develop a
> > data hub using ckan and I am having a lot of challenges since  my
> learning
> > curve is very steep.
> >
> >  My main problem right now is that I cannot get the file upload to work,
> > don't know what I am doing wrong, can any 1 help by sending a sample
> config
> > file the /std/std.ini file ?
>
> Hi John,
>
> assuming you want to use local filesystem storage, to enable CKAN's
> FileStore you need to add two lines to the [app:main] section of your
> config file:
>
>     [app:main]
>     ofs.impl = pairtree
>     ofs.storage_dir = /tmp/bucket

@Sean,

I think part of the problem is that if these are not set then the error can
be hard to find.

I've made a ticket http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2758 for this - part of the
issue is that these (at least on the demo-theme branch) are accessed via
the api and end up being hard to debug/ send feedback to the user.  Again
new theme specific but I think we should be checking that this is setup
maybe g.filestore_enabled or the like so that templates only show it if
available.

The other option is passing better error messages to the front end rather
than just the generic one.  I'm not sure how the other non-pairtree
backends would integrate with that

@Aron does that seem a sensible approach (g.filestore_enabled)?

I'm happy for someone else to take the ticket on :)

Toby

A common mistake is to add these lines to the bottom of the file, rather